Ministry of Agriculture of Georgia and Ministry of Agriculture of Autonomous Republic of Adjara;
The program aims to enhance agricultural production and rural development in Georgia, by contributing to the efforts of UNDP and the European Neighborhood Programme for Agriculture and Rural Development (ENPARD Georgia) to establish and implement Rural Development Strategies in Georgia.
PMCG is working actively with UNDP, the Inter-Agency Coordination Council on Rural Development in Georgia (IACC) and the Rural Development Council (RDC) of Adjara Autonomous Republic to formulate a capacity development plan.
In order to reach its objectives, PMCG is carrying out the following activities:
- Facilitating stakeholder dialogue on the capacity development process and develop a work plan
- Undertaking a comprehensive institutional assessment on desired and existing capacities of the selected institutions, including relevant Policy Units at the Ministry of Agriculture of Georgia and the Ministry of Agriculture of Adjara AR
- Proposing a capacity development plan combining short- and medium-term response actions, with quick-impact training activities, based on the results of the assessment
As a result of the collaboration, the Inter-Agency Coordination Council on Rural Development in Georgia, as well as the Government of the Autonomous Republic of Adjara, will obtain a capacity development plan that will facilitate development and implementation of a National Policy on Rural Development in Georgia and implementation of the Rural Development Strategy at central and local levels.
The European Union provides support to rural development and agriculture in Georgia through ENPARD, the European Neighbourhood Programme for Agriculture and Rural Development.
Implemented since 2013, the main goal of the ENPARD programme is to reduce rural poverty. Programme assistance is provided to the government and also to NGOs working directly with communities on the ground.
Through the ENPARD programme, the European Union aims to reach three goals:
- To build capacity and support government institutions in the reform of the agriculture and rural development sector
- To improve employment and living conditions of rural populations by strengthening farmers’ cooperation skills and access to resources
- To promote diversified social and economic opportunities in rural areas, particularly for women and youth, with due respect to the environment and the cultural heritage
Follow the links below for related projects:
Developing the Strategy and Action Plan for High Mountainous Regions of Georgia
Support for Preparation of General Methodology for Municipal Priority Document, Design Municipal Priority Documents for 22 Municipalities and Update Comprehensive Regional Action Plans for 6 Regions of Georgia
Increasing Program Budgeting Capacity of Ministry of Labor Social and Health Affiairs of Georgia
Adjara Autonomous Republic Rural Development Strategy