Issue 119: Foreign Direct Investments in Georgia
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, global FDI is expected to fall by 30-40% in 2020 (UNCTAD), while the decrease in Georgia is forecast at 19% (IMF);
- Net FDI inflows have been decreasing in Georgia since 2017, based on both, yearly and Q1 data;
- Net FDI inflows in Georgia experience volatility over time, due to large one-off investment projects;
- Georgia has been leading among EaP countries in terms of the share of FDI in GDP in 2017 and 2018;
- Net FDI inflows decreased by 41.7% in Q1 of 2020, compared to Q1 in 2019, mainly due to COVID-19 pandemic.