Short-term Technical Assistance to Develop Legal Framework for Inter-Municipal Cooperation
Tetra Tech ARD
The main objective of this project is to provide assistance to the Ministry to create a legal basis for existing, as well as new, models of inter-municipal cooperation, to define key operational procedures, and to identify legislative or practical obstacles hampering inter-municipal cooperation. This will contribute to the transfer of new functions and finances to local self-governments and to the improvement of local capabilities in terms of service delivery.
In order to attain its goals, PMCG, as part of a consortium led by Tetra Tech ARD, under the USAID-funded Good Governance Initiative (GGI), will undertake the following activities:
- Review the report and several laws of Georgia, regulating legal framework for inter-municipal cooperation (IMC);
- Identify discrepancies between various IMC initiatives in Georgia;
- Reflect upon key findings from the inception report in order to ensure that the fields of work will be diversified and efficient as well as making sure that an effective decentralization mechanism is established with the support of USAID/GGI and the Council of Europe;
- Draft amendments to the current legislation creating a favorable legal framework for existing, as well as new, models of inter-municipal cooperation in order to develop the desired legal division of work spheres;
- Develop sample by-laws, inter-municipal agreements, statutes and other relevant typical regulations needed to organize IMC to provide new services prioritized by the Ministry of Regional Development and Infrastructure of Georgia (MRDI) and/or local self-governments in order to make working processes easier and minimize the errors occurring in legal sheets; and
- Develop a final report on the technical assistance provided to the MRDI, and conduct monitoring of the inefficiencies and mistakes highlighted in the final report.
Follow the links below for related projects:
Good Governance Initiative (GGI)
Needs Assessment of the Public Audit Institute (PAI) of State Audit Office (SAO)
Developing 2017 Program Budget of Batumi City Municipality and Citizens’ Guide
Supporting the State Audit Office (SAO) to Review Its Communication Policy and Action Plan and Evaluate its “Budget Monitor” Platform