Biological Farming Association ELKANA;
Austrian Development Cooperation;
The overall objective of the project is to reveal more economic opportunities in deprived rural areas of Georgia, Tianeti municipality and Lower Pshavi area (Dusheti municipality) of Mtskheta-Mtianeti region, that have high potential for sustainable rural tourism and agricultural development.
In order to attain its goals, PMC Research will undertake the following activities:
- Analyze the national and local production and consumption patterns, preferences and expenditure patterns related to organic agriculture (OA) and rural tourism (RT) in the relevant areas;
- Prioritize the value chains, which have the greatest potential for income generation, especially for women and vulnerable groups;
- Conduct value chain analysis (VCA) on four organic agricultural products and rural tourism, that will include the following activities:
- Mapping the functions of and relationships between the relevant institutions at national and local levels, key producers and service providers, associations, credit institutions, and others, with respect to the selected value chains;
- Analyze the types, quantity and quality of goods and services currently offered in the selected value chains, their suitability as well as yield/productivity, taking into account future climate change scenarios and corresponding changes in the availability of natural resources;
- Examine the dynamics of specified value chains, including reward distribution and social/power relations;
- Study the current capacities and development needs of actors, who are disaggregated by sex and vulnerability, involved in the selected value chains;
- Identify and examine the opportunities and constraints within the existing value chains, and recommend interventions to support inclusive and sustainable development; and
- Provide recommendations for business models appropriate to the project beneficiaries, including possibly establishing formal cooperatives or informal cooperation.