Khyber Pakhtunkhwa District Governance Community Development Final Evaluation
European Union Delegation to Pakistan
The focus of this evaluation is on the assessment of achievements, as well as the quality and the results of the European Union Budget Support Programme Khyber Pakhtunkhwa District Governance Community Development in the context of an evolving cooperation policy with an increasing emphasis on result-oriented approaches and making a contribution towards the implementation of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). From this perspective, the evaluation will look for evidence of why, whether, or how these results are linked to the EU intervention and will seek to identify the factors driving or hindering progress. We will provide the following:
- An overall independent assessment of the past performance of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa District Governance and Community Development Programme, paying particular attention to its results measured against its expected objectives; and the reasons underpinning such results;
- Key lessons learned, conclusions, and related recommendations in order to strengthen the sustainability of the policy and, more widely, informing future budget support programs; and
- Assessment of the performance of the KP DGCD Programme in order to inform improvements in policy implementation and to strengthen its sustainability. This evaluation should therefore focus on the extent to which the program has achieved its expected results, most notably through contributing to the implementation of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Provincial Government’s decentralization and rural development strategy entitled ‘Community Driven Local Development’ (CDLD) by providing an enabling environment and suitable opportunities for the improvement of the policy and its implementation.
In addition, the evaluation will take stock of what has been achieved, the main purpose of which is to yield lessons learned and recommendations to clarify:
- The conditions under which budget support has an effect (or not) and the possible intensity and nature (positive or negative) of such an effect in the areas of local governance and community development in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province;
- The design and implementation of future budget support operations in the areas of local governance and rural/community development in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province;
- Necessary improvements to be set up by the EU (or other budget support providers) to maximize the impact of budget support in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province; and
- Constraints in government policies, institutional structures, and administrative arrangements in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province, which might impede the effectiveness of budget support on spending actions and targeted public policies and reforms.