Tetra Tech ARD;
In Georgia, the private sector is insufficiently engaged in national, regional, and local economic development processes. Accordingly, private sector engagement (PSE) in economic decision-making is limited at the local level, which in turn leads to a lack of coordination and dialogue between the public and private sectors on local economic development issues.
Addressing this issue, the “Fostering Private Sector Engagement at the Local Level” project, run by Tetra Tech under USAID’s Local Governance Program, which encompasses the following specific activities and objectives: PSE; capacity-building activities; raising awareness about the advantages and opportunities of PSE within municipalities; institutionalization of public-private dialogue (PPD) platforms in municipalities; identification and prioritization of PSE projects at municipal and inter-municipal levels; and, significantly, developing a pilot municipal/inter-municipal public-private partnership (PPP) project concept.
In particular, the following outcomes are expected of PMCG’s involvement in the project:
- PSE Strengths, Weaknesses, and Opportunities in Each Municipality Assessed and Analyzed. This includes designing a list of stakeholders to be interviewed, devising questionnaires for key informant interviews (KIIs), and conducting interviews to establish the PSE status quo and inform a landscape analysis report.
- Capacity-building Programs Tailored to the Particular Needs of Each Municipality Established and Awareness of Municipal Stakeholders About the Benefits and Opportunities of PSE Improved. This entails developing capacity-building training programs for 12 municipalities, and conducting capacity-building training programs online for 10 to 12 participants from each municipality.
- PSE Prospectuses Published for Each Municipality.
- Key Stakeholders Identified and PPDs Institutionalized in Partner Municipalities.
- PSE Projects in Partner Municipalities Prioritized. This includes selecting two PSE projects in each partner municipality, holding PPDs on specific PSE projects, and selecting at least three inter-municipal PSE projects.
- PSE Projects Selected in Partner Municipalities and Action Plans Devised for their Implementation.
- At Least One Pilot Municipal/Inter-municipal PPP Project Chosen.
- Main Findings, Outputs, and Lessons Learned from the Project communicated to high-level stakeholders.