Holland-based public policy consulting company ECORYS and PMCG have jointly proposed for the project “Support to the Economic Department of the Ministry of Justice of Georgia”.
Start Date: November 2008
End Date: August 2010
Client: Ministry of Justice (MOJ)
Development Partner: Delegation of the European Commission to Georgia and Armenia
Description of the Project:
ECORYS is the most advanced public policy consulting company in Holland. It is an international group of companies specializing in economic and social development. It works with clients in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors to apply its expertise to improve the economic and social conditions to the various countries. ECORYS™ slogan-sound analysis, inspiring ideas-indicates clearly company’s™ ability to translate the results of rigorous analysis and the latest research into creative, practical advice. To an already strong track record in applied economic research and consulting ECORYS has added services in programme management, communication, ICT applications and legal advice. The ECORYS Group has 20 operating companies and over 560 staff to serve the interests of clients.
PMCG, together with ECORYS, is implementing the project that will provide support and assistance to the staff of the Economic Department and the service delivery departments in budget preparation, execution and reporting. This project, Support to the Economic Department of the Ministry of Justice of Georgia, Project number 165436, is part of a targeted program of assistance in financial management reform in five key line ministries, that is, the Ministry of Justice, the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Agriculture, the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Culture.
The Support to the Economic Department of the Ministry of Justice of Georgia Project will focus on delivering three key outputs. These are: (i) Improved Medium Term Action Plans (MTAP’s™); (ii) Improved output based budgets and financial management reports; (iii) Development of output based budgeting and financial management reports modules for MoJ’s™ ORIS Manager 2 system.
The project will provide support and assistance to the staff of the Economic Department and the service delivery departments in budget preparation, execution and reporting.
The project will assist the Ministry to address most of these challenges:
- Output 1 of the project will provide significant technical assistance and support to the Ministry during two budget cycles in reviewing its planning documents in general and its Medium Term Action Plan (MTAP) in particular;
- Output 2 of the project will support the staff of the service delivery departments and the Economic Department as they work to improve the Ministry’s™ key performance indicator. Particular attention will be paid to performance indicators relating to quality of services delivered.
The project will also assist in the development of output based budgets and reports rather than the traditional organizational structure budgets;
- Output 3 will develop an outputs based budgeting and reporting module for inclusion in the Ministry’s ORIS Manager 2 system;
- Output 3 will improve the quality of and facilitate the preparation of Medium Term Action Plans, reports of actual and budgeted services delivery levels and the expenditure incurred in the delivery of those services;
- The project does not have the resources to support the development of a credible internal audit system in the Ministry. The Project believes that the Office of the Inspector General does not have the training, equipment, experience or culture required to deliver basic internal audit programs within the timeframe of the project.